Our July 2023 Maleny Textile Retreat was sold out in record time, so I’m pleased to announce a second Japanese Textile Retreat, being held at Tranquil Park Maleny, from August 23rd to August 27 2023. Joining us as a special guest tutor will be quilt designer Jan Phillips from Quilt Therapy.
A retreat and holiday experience all in one event. Visit the charming township of Maleny and experience the wonderful crafts and culture Maleny has to offer.
What do you do with all the beautiful hand work pieces (boro, sashiko, stitcheries)? – Learn how to turn them into a beautiful quilted project/s as we step through the process of designing your unique quilt to incorporate some of the pieces using simple piecing, with the added interest of pieced blocks that compliment your work.
– Where to start — what can I make? What size and style?
– How to plan the number of fabrics you need, and work out how much of each.
– Mixing pieced blocks, or simple shapes into a design & how to choose the right ones.
– What section do I make first? ( assuming you have boro, sashiko, stitchery or applique already made)
– Creating a construction plan — a guide to follow for your project.
– How do you finish the quilt? —no borders? How many borders? What sizes ?
– How to measure and sew accurately for a flat finish to the whole quilt.
– Tips on binding finishes in a couple of ways – The importance of recording your projects
– This is the day we put the planning into action and start constructing your project
– Choosing from several different blocks provided and making sample blocks to take home for reference or to be included in your project.
– Learning tips on how to make accurate pieced blocks — cutting & piecing accurate seams.
– Time to sew.
– Finish the workshop with a recap of the 2 days so each student has confidence to complete the project at home.During this class I can assist with any quilt structure questions you may have so you can be confident working on your projects at home.
Hand out sheets will be given throughout the 2 days, and I also encourage students to add to these with specific information related to their project or machine.
This workshop features more advanced techniques and methods to add interesting texture or ways to add highlight trims to your blocks, and how to work with a range of fabrics using a number of different ways to crate your projects.
– Foundation Piecing and how to determine when it is the best technique to use.
– Make up one or more examples of a foundation block that can be the main feature of your project or added in another area of your quilt—a great way to use up treasured scraps from other projects.
– Working with different shapes within 1 quilt & how to blend them together.
– Learn about adding texture options to a quilt — Ric Rac, Bias, Applique, accent trims.
– Using circle shapes — how to sew them in or on to a project— choose one of the circle ideas presented and create your block.You could choose to make a single quilt from the techniques covered in this workshop, or make up the samples, take home the notes with lots of ideas for projects you would like to make.
“When I started Quilt Therapy in 2002, I wanted to represent me and what I am passionate about. Through quilt making and tutoring I am able to express who I am in a creative and practical way – I make quilts to show my love for family and friends, and also gift quilts to bring comfort to others. Through teaching I can pass on my knowledge so others can do the same.
The process of quilt making is therapeutic in itself through all the steps. From the choosing of a design and fabrics, to learning the techniques required to construct it, through to the quilting and finishing, we learn a lot about the creative process and much about ourselves. When working in a group environment there is a lot of sharing and support for each other.
My passion is to see people develop their skills and as a result I see many students produce amazing work. I work in all areas from the Hand Made Traditional styles through to Machine Made Traditional or contemporary (or mixtures of them all) and now more Modern styles are becoming popular. My quilting workshops are all about nurturing the whole person, through good food, lots of laughter, developing skills, being creative and having a lot of fun and the farm is a wonderful place to relax. Special workshops are organised for skill development around specific projects and I love to travel to teach I hope to chat with you soon.”
Retreat Dates: August 23rd- August 27th, 2023.
Expressions of interest: email@example.com
Your cart is currently empty.
Hi, I’m interested in your 2023 retreat at Malany, can I just come up every day in stead of staying as I live in Beerwah and what would the cost be please… Thankyou Deneal Jones
There is a day rate available for people who live locally. Send an email to my operations manager Maddison at firstname.lastname@example.org and she’ll give you all the information you need.
Yes I am interested in the 2nd retreat next year, along with my friend Glenys Prideaux.
That is lovely to hear. Please forward your expression of interest to email@example.com. Maddy will help you with pricing and availability.
Happy New Year S up
What are the costs of the Malaney workshop. Do you have a waiting list
for the first retreat
Happy belated New Year to you too Bev. The first Maleny retreat has sold out, but there is a second one taking place in August. If you send an email to my operations manager Maddy at firstname.lastname@example.org, she will help you with pricing information.